Lemon Surprise Cheesecake Recipe
Photo by: Taste of Home
100% would make again
I love lemon pie and cheesecake—and when I whip up this treat, I can have them both for dessert!—Karen Chesnut, Clarksburg, California
This recipe is:
- 1-1/2 cups crushed lemon cream-filled sandwich cookies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Combine the cookie crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a lightly greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Cool pan on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter and peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Gradually beat in gelatin mixture until combined. Fold in the whipped cream and lemon peel.
- Spoon three-fourths of cheesecake mixture into crust; build up edges slightly. Chill for 5 minutes. Spoon lemon filling over cheesecake layer to within 1/2 in of edges. Top with remaining cheesecake mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Recipe courtesy of Taste Of Home.com