Thursday, December 3, 2009

"It Is With Heavy Heart...." breaking news to you...


Oh ladies... how do I even say this...

This morning, I sat down with coffee in hand just,
like every other morning,
and began the task of perusing my emails...

What's this? An email from my favorite people at
Jeanne d'Arc Living!

I always open their emails first! :)

Click.

Open...

Heart sinks....

Cannot believe what I'm reading...

Oh how can it be?

I think the universe could hear the
sigh that came from my gut...


December 3rd 2009


Dear customer


We regret to inform you that we unfortunately no longer will be able to sell our products to customers in United States of America.


Thank you for understanding and showing interest in Jeanne d´Arc Living.


Did you just have the same reaction that I had?

{I shortened the email, deleting non-pertinent details and left just the "bottom line"}


I'm at a loss for what to tell you.


I will say this --


I had a very, very nice long talk with a very, very nice chap at

Jeanne d'Arc Living very, very early this morning...


I actually do feel somewhat better after that.


Here's what I can tell you...


It turns out that the main bugaboo has been in dealings with customs and

with cost-prohibitive freight/shipping costs for the orders coming here to the U.S.


So, until they can figure something else out that makes it possible to trade with the U.S. shops, they have had to make the hard decision to cease trade - for now.


And this takes effect NOW... immediately.


{Oh how I am now savoring that shipment we just got in!!

Had I know then what I know now, I would DOUBLED our order!}


In my chat with the representative at Jeanne d'Arc Living, he did offer us the option of continuing to be able to stock the magazine ONLY.


But no products --

for now...


Now...

their offer to continue to allow purchase of the magazine issues does not come

without it's own set of new stipulations and changes...


mainly...


the price is going to

increase.


My cost to bring it to you is going to be ratcheted up quite a bit

and in keeping with that,

well....

the price of the magazine in the shop will also have to go

up...


I have mulled this over and over and as I told my friend at

Jeanne d'Arc Living this morning on the phone,

I think the best thing I can do in helping me determine whether to

go forward and continue stocking the magazines is....


to ask YOU.


So, I am...


I'll just lay it out for you:


if we continue to bring the magazine to the states, the price is going to go

from $24 per issue up to approx. $35 per issue.


There will be 8 issues published in 2010 (there were 6 in 2009)

and all issues will be in English.


There is no way of knowing if or when we will be getting a chance at anymore

of the Jeanne d'Arc Living products, but for now, let's just say it won't be

any time soon...


SO....

for now, all we have is the magazine.


What do YOU think?


Remember back several months ago, when they were considering printing the

magazine in English and they wanted me to come to YOU to gauge

how much interest there would be in an English version?


Well, I'm coming to you again -- this time to gauge how

likely you will be to continue to order the magazines in light

of the new price.


I can't tell you enough how much I will

COVET

your responses.


Let 'er rip -- let me know what you think.


I will likely make my decision to either continue carrying or

not carry

the magazine going forward, based on what you all

have to say.


So please, be honest -- let me know where you fall on this new news of today...

I respect your ideas and thoughts -

I stock this store for YOU, so what YOU think matters.


GOOD NEWS for you

(because if you've read this far, you can use some!):


I still have a few things that I have not yet put up on the site from my latest shipment

from Jeanne d'Arc Living

so there ARE still things here,

on this side of the pond,

from Jeanne d'Arc Living to be had...

but when they're gone, there is no guarantee they will be

able to be restocked... at least not for some time.


So that about covers it.


I cannot wait to hear from you!


Oh, and one more thing -- the current issue for the first time ever, reflects a

U.S. price of I think $17.00. That is an error!

Shopkeepers across the country who stock the magazine were all

fairly shocked to see that price, since we can assure you --

it doesn't cost much less than that for US to get it here,

so PLEASE know that the $17.00 price is not an accurate rate of conversion for the magazine

and is not an accurate "MSRP" for it.

Future issues should have that corrected...


P.S. -- on a lighter note,

don't forget my giveaway in the blog post just below this one!!

I'll draw TWO names Friday night and hopefully ship

the winnings out on Saturday!!


~Ruth~


25 comments:

Donna Reyne' said...

Bless your Heart!
Not enough on your plate...so lets add somethng else.
I will purchase the magazine...even at the higher rate...can't promise it will be every issue...but I still love it...There "look" is not like anything we Americans have working.
But...like all things...when door closes...
Try to have a restful weekend...know that I am thinking about you...your friend...donna

Claudia said...

Hi Ruth,

What terrible news! I'm so sorry to hear it. I love the magazine, but I don't think I would pay $35 for it.

Thanks for asking us for our opinions, Ruth!

xoxo
Claudia

Jackie said...

I'm sorry Ruth...not a good e-mail to wake up to! I would still buy the magazine!

Kathrine said...

Hello Ruth,

I received my BEAUTIFUL magazines today from you. THANK YOU.

I would too buy them for $35!!

Take care.
Kathy

Little Cottage said...

Bummer!
I will continue buying
JL Magazine, even if the price goes up!!!!!!
-Sylvi

teresa sheeley said...

Sorry Ruth, that is icky news.

Even with my little towel business I am going to have to stop shipping outside the US, it is becoming harder and harder to get things shipped out, and more expensive.

What do you suppose is going on!!

Anonymous said...

I would still buy it at the higher price.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Ruth,
This is so sad as JD'L products are so beautiful, but I bet that the kinks will be worked out soon and they will be shipping to US again in no time! To be honest, I do not think that I would be willing to pay $35 for the magazine...although I love and covet all my issues. This may have more to do with my impending loss of employment and my state of mind at the moment...it IS 2:30 a.m. and i DO have work in a few hours...
It seems like a lot to me but then again, a girl could change her mind and splurge! I've been known to do that. I will stop rambling now. :)

Unknown said...

Hey Ruth!! I'm bummin right along with you! I just don't want to lose the magazine for my own sake...it's like an addiction...but a good one...I think :) I'll see what my readers say next week!

Have a great weekend, despite the JDL news!!!

:) T

Cathy said...

Well, it seems we have no choice but to band together and take a yearly trip to Denmark then. There, that settles that. I know I feel better.

I could buy the magazine at the higher price, but would choose to buy "pretties" to create the Jeanne D'Arc look in my home instead. [As a shopkeeper, it certainly is a gamble--being potentially stuck with outdated magazines.]

Faded Plains said...

So sorry to hear the news...but like Donna said...when one door closes...another opens. As for the magazine, I really enjoy reading the ones I have, but don't think I would purchase it at the new price. Thanks so much for asking what we think.

Six in One Hand said...

I'm sooo sorry to hear about that!!!
I do love the magazine(very much)
but would more than likely not purchase as many magazines but I would definitely still purchase some.

Whatever Is Lovely said...

Oh My!! How Awful!!! I've fallen in Love with all the Beautiful Jeanne D'Arc items!!

I just placed an order Ruth.. The magazine & some other Jeanne D'Arc items... Oh Gosh.. I hope they figure something out soon! I think I would treat myself to the magazine even at the higher price...

Thanks Ruth! Hugs & Many Blessings ~Teresa

Tracy said...

I'm devastated! I've just discovered JD'L and now to hear that you can no longer receive it...it's so sad. I will definitely be purchasing the magazine. This magazine feeds my soul, plus everyone needs to splurge on themselves.

Take Care.
Tracy

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Sure appreciate all the comments so far -- Tracy, your wording is AWESOME -- "The magazine feeds my soul -- everyone should splurge on themselves..."
Well put!! :)

Thank you to all who are sharing their input!! :)

Ruth

irene said...

I have recently just found your blog and have become aware of Jeanne d'Arc...her style touches my soul. So sad to hear this...I better buy the latest issue quickly. So sorry Ruth for your bad news- It's possible I would buy the magazine at the higher price. Best Wishes to you- and I love your cart...I have been reading all the back posts!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I AM SAD to hear no more Jeanne D' Arc....I am so glad I got what I got, (love it)
As for the magazines...well, they are like a coffee table book, and I did bite my lip as I ordered...as for the price increase, not sure at this point...they are fabulous but maybe it would be torture to see what you can't have? But then, that happens alot when you live in Los Angeles, (haha) If you carried the magazines, I am sure I would order 1 or 2, and you have plenty of other beautiful things!

Simply Me Art said...

Well what a Email to wake up too! That stinks. I have not purchased the Magazine, but I honestly wouldn't mind splurging for a Magazine of this quality. I don't know about you, but I keep my Mags and have for years, I look back at them all the time. Just my two cents.What a way to start the weekend, xo Jamie

BriarRose said...

Oh my....very disappointing news. Yes, I would pay the extra cost on the magazine. It is my very favorite! Thank you for asking us.

Debra

Unknown said...

This just makes me so sad. I was telling a friend about the magazine last night! I couldn't buy every month but I would splurg for the holidays.

mari said...

sad, sad news. i'm not sure i would get the magazine at the higher price. i, too, am more apt to buy treasures for my home instead. especially since we have access to all the lovely blogs out there that feature the style. anxious to see what items you have waited to list!

many blessings,
mari

Sunnysidesue said...

What a bummer!! I can imagine how disappointed you were when you got that email. I'm afraid I'll have to stop buying the magazine as much as I love it. $35 is more than I feel it's worth. At least I have all the other issues. Thanks for asking for our opinions Ruth. xxoo Sue

Cheryl ~ Casual Cottage Chic said...

I loved the first issue in English, but with the new price, it's something I will just have to pass up. I know from my own webshop that shipping is costly internationally, so I understand JdA's position. Heck, shipping even within the USA has gone up due to gasoline prices. Oh, well :-) Your shop is still beautiful and I will browse again for JdA items before they are gone, gone, gone.
xo,
Cheryl

The Flying Bee said...

OMGsh! This, this is what I come back to....no more JDL products! Yikes! You know I love the magazine, but I don't know if I would pay that much for it. Maybe I would just buy less. Speaking of the magazine, I never did get mine. I thought you had shipped it before I left for my trip...wonder what happended?

Anyway, the trip was awesome...I will post as soon as I get some rest!

Missed ya!

xo,
Adrienne

Anne Lorys said...

I'd still order, Ruth.
Hmmm, wonder if my magazine is here yet, it hadn't arrived as of yesterday. Dern post office box is 25 miles away!
XO,
Anne