Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hidden Treasure...

This'll be short & sweet, but I just wanted to share what was revealed to be beneath
about an inch of plaster on our ceilings after a wall was removed...


{Taken with my cell phone, so please excuse the poor photo quality}

There are original beadboard ceilings under all that crazy plaster!

Ditto for the walls!  Beadboard there, too!

So we now need to decide (like in the next few hours) whether we want to see
what's behind "door #2" so to speak and have ALL the rest of he plaster knocked off
and have beadboard ceilings...
or
take the the "safe route" and just try our best to repair the 6" wide swath of
plaster and try and make it blend in with the rest of the ceiling...

What to do?!

There are no guarantees that the beadboard is in good shape beneath all that 
plaster and it covers THREE rooms.

It's pretty much of a gamble... But the reward for bravery could be that
we get to enjoy antique beadboard ceilings instead of funky, chunky plaster ceilings
with an odd "circular swirl" design all over them.  

By the way, removing the plaster off all the walls is NOT an option.
I love the plaster walls (they are not done in a weird, thick design like the ceiling)
and I really don't think I'd care for the wall and the ceiling to be all wooden.

So, what would you do??

Well... I'm off again, but I just had to share the discovery with you.  :)

  

14 comments:

Cabin 19 Supply Company said...

I would take the chance! My husband would not. Lol, but as you said...could be a real gem of a find!

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

Um hello....thats like finding gold in your ceiling! Take it off and take your chances :)

Jackie said...

I would chance it for the beadboard!! Oh yea!

Brown Bee Studio said...

I would definitely get rid of the icky stuccoed plaster...the beadboard would be soooo worth it! :)

Unknown said...

Take it off, take it all off!!

But that's how we roll here at the barn

elle said...

Go for the beadboard---definitely!!!!

{oc cottage} said...

OH how cool! I say go for it! WOW! You are such a lucky duck! So, intriguing!!

m ^..^

The Flying Bee said...

Do you really have to ask???

Go for it!!!

afistfullofweeds* said...

You could always sheetrock over it if it is really bad under there!! I think I would haft to see!!

cathy said...

Risk it! (if you haven't already) xoxo

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

My vote is for bead board too. How often do we long to add just such a thing but don't because it is so expensive. go for it! Keep posting pics.

The Joy of Nesting said...

I'm way late on this Lit'l Miss R but if it twere me I'd be standing in piles of plaster in the blink of the eye. Bead board can easily be patched & blended into the bad spots. A whole lot better then trying to match plaster techniques!Ohhhhh just think patina white bead board...heaven it's almost orga...well maybe not that, but heck it runs a close second! :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

PS Be sure to post pictures!

Anonymous said...

Down it comes!
Yes, take the risk : )

Dee

Tutti Chic said...

yes yes to the beadboard ruth! :) chris